Just the kids and I

7/12/2008

Marty is fishing today and it's just the kids and I. So far, we have had the best day! We started with the horse parade and they loved seeing all of the different kinds of horses and people riding them. (I will post an album, but here are my favs).



Waiting for the parade to begin. A new favorite!!




Waving at the horses
My favorite Princess ;)
Ella's favorite- she was so excited about the "pink princess on the pink horse" that she was jumping up and down and told me about 10 times to take a photo!

Our plan afterwards was to walk over to the Farmer's Market for lunch, but apparently that was everyone's plan! So, we went to the Lakeside Lavender Festival. My mom and I usually go, but she had to work this weekend and I wasn't sure if I wanted to take the kids by myself since it's not really the most kid friendly event. But, I remembered that they had lunches and I had hungry kids, a great combination! It ended up being just fine bringing the kids along. It was so beautiful out there- you can smell the lavender in the parking lot and the view of the lake is so serene. We grabbed a bite to eat and a lavender lemon snowcone, browsed around a little, then the kids wanted to cut some lavender.




**Warning...a lot of photos ahead**







"I picked this one for you, Mom!"









So proud of her bundle


"Will you marry me mom"? It would be so mad at me for "telling" you all that! What a romantic already! Proud mommy.


When we first arrived, they had lemonade and lavender cookies that we all loved and when we were browsing the vendors, we saw the packets to make the cookies ourselves. So, when we got home, we made a few batches of lavender tea cookies. My friend, Kaia, was bummed that she couldn't make the festival since she was too busy packing to leave tomorrow for her family trip to California. We packaged up a little plate of cookies for her and it turned out very cute!


The first is the recipe, which was attached the the little packet of lavender buds. I'm sure that you can use your own lavender, but this was so easy. Then the ingredients (which were very simple). Next are the cookies in the oven (i added a squeeze of lemon juice on the top of the cookies before putting them in the oven and a sprinkle of sugar-DELICIOUS). And finally, the little package for Kaia. I put some cookies on a plate, covered it with saran wrap. Tied a pretty bow with a few sprigs of lavender in it and tucked the packet with the recipe under the bow. Hey...it's crafty for me!

The festival is still going tomorrow, go check it out if you want a beautiful place to relax for the afternoon ;) I'm off to figure out dinner for just the kids and I.

2 comments:

Jill said...

Oh my gosh... sounds like a perfect day! We went to the parade too but because there was no candy, Lucas and Kayla were bored. Horses aren't really their thing I guess. I have been DYING to check out the lavender festival. Every year I either miss it or I have no money, like this year, and don't want to depress myself. Honestly, the pics of your kids in the fields are beautiful! Just gorgeous. Also love the one of Ella with her pink dress and purse watching the parade. Such a girl! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, seriously...how did I get so far behind on your blog?

Love the new hair, yours and Ella's. I love that she wanted it pink too.

The lavendar field is so beautiful. I have some lavendar in the back yard, wonder why I haven't picked any of it? And the cookies sound yummy...what a nice gift. Very thoughtful. I'm getting ready for a trip too. :D

Okay I think I'm caught up. Check my blog...you've been tagged! ;o)