School House Blues

8/25/2009

Well, we're here in WY. Mostly settled too. All of the boxes were unpacked by day 3 (and we had a 24 ft. moving truck!) and of course I move things around daily to try to find the perfect fit for every little thing. It sure is nice to have everything organized. I've had to be very creative in finding nooks and crannies to store "stuff" in. It's been fun :) Marty has been working pretty long days to try and make up for the time he took off to move so his honey do list is getting long, but he'll move on a normal schedule again very soon.

I have the blues today in a major way. It's the first day of school in ID and I can't seem to stop thinking about what we're all missing. Ella would be having her Kindergarten orientation today. Cole would be started 3rd grade with a teacher that I have always loved, having a blast seeing all of his friends. I would chit chatting with the parents of my kids friends that I have built relationships with over the past 3 years. I would taken their traditional first day of school pictures in front of our butterfly bush. And so on and on and on.

It doesn't help that I am having a really hard time getting the kids into a school here that I think will be a good fit for them. I have not heard anything positive about the school they are supposed to go to and after registering them yesterday, I absolutely do not want them to go there. The school building is pretty run down, the location of the school is not ideal, the secretary told Ella that she is one of only a handful of Kindergarten girls (you all know how girly my Ella is!) and they do not have a PTO or a PTA (and they don't seem to mind). After being so involved with the PTA at their old school, I know how beneficial it is to have involved parents. I have called the district office numerous times and they are nice, but they have policies that must stay in place. Which I understand. But Marty and I are our children's only advocates and I will not sit back and have them go to an unsatisfactory school.

However, we had a breakthrough yesterday. Since their school did not meet the WY state targets in some testing areas, we have the option of sending them to a choice of 2 other schools. Neither are the schools I was hoping for, but still a huge improvement. I did alot of research yesterday and I like everything that I see in one of them. High test scores, great location, very involved parents/PTO (LOTS of fun events and fundraisers! WHOO HOO) and they are the only elementary school with an extended resource program and have peer tutoring available for the students. I was really involved in peer tutoring in school and I have a feeling that it's something that Cole would really enjoy as well.

We drove by the school last night and I am going to pick up the form to enroll them when Alli wakes from her nap. This school is a little further of a drive, but once we're all in the car, it doesn't really matter. Aw man...now I just got sad about the fact that we can't walk/ride bikes to school anymore. GRRR!

I just hope I am making the right choice. I guess I'm going with my gut on this one, it usually doesn't steer me wrong. I know it will work out. I know we'll all make friends. And I know that we'll all learn from this experience. I know I need to stay postive, but it's hard sometimes. I feel like I am dealing with more than one person should be expected to deal with. It could always be worse. I need to focus on the good....

Now I need to figure out transportation. Cole begins at 8:40 and Kindergarten doesn't being until 9:30. Cole could ride the bus to school, but I'd rather take him. It's once of the advantages I have of being a stay at home, I believe. Ella, however, has the option to ride the Kindergarten bus to school. It's only a few Kindergartners and they pick her up at the front door. That would save me a trip and she won't be exposed to all of the older kids that regular busing has. (Marty and I both learned WAY to much riding the bus when we were young!) So I guess after dropping Cole off, the girls and I will come home and get Ella ready. They get out at 3:33 (NOT 3:30 or 3:35 ha ha ha) and I will pick them up. It's sure going to be quite around here. What in the world is Alli going to do with herself? ;)

I am working on taking photos of the house, but have a few things to still hang on the walls. And let me tell you, walls in older homes are NOT like walls in a newer home, I've made my mark in a few places...oops. My Mom and Heather are coming to say hello tomorrow until Friday so I'm sure we'll have everything looking pretty. I hope they know that they are coming here to decorate! LOL

I feel better now. Thanks ;)

1 comments:

~Four Tully's~ said...

OH Cass,
If there is anything good think on that, and I know that the one thing that is the best is that you are together as a family and that makes all the difference in the world!!
I am here for you to chit chat with if you need something for I feel like I am going through the same thing with my kids and their new schools.
You'll get through this I know you will!!
Love you girl!!