The Season has been flying to me. It's been tough not having Marty here this time of year both emotionally (doing some Christmas activites without him) and physically (all of the additonal items on my to do list), and I have started to feel like the Holiday stress is taking over.
I told myself the other night that I was going to find a way to put a little bit a Christmas in each day for the kids and I. I started blog hopping and browsing through other people's Christmas ideas. I thank everyone (who probably doesn't read my blog) for sharing their ideas ;)
I found a kit a few years ago to make my own advent calender and we have used it every year to count down the days from December 1st to Christmas.
I usually put a Hersey kiss or reindeer corn (candy corn in Christmas colors) in each day. Except one day where they find a note to search for their new ornaments on the tree for one of the days. But while blog hopping, I saw that many people are putting a fun, family, festive activity in each day. I knew it was exactly what we needed! Since we are starting our activities a little late in the month and today being the 12th...it's our version of The 12 Days of Christmas.
After the kids went to bed, I went to work and got out my scrapbooking stuff that I use maybe once or twice per year! I had some precut gift tags that are just the right size to find in the pockets of the calender and wrote an activity for us to do each day. Then, deorated them with Ella's glitter glue. As usual, when I do something crafty, it looks like a child made it, but I did my best, had so much fun doing it, and (so far) the kids L.O.V.E it!
Today's activity...watch a Christmas movie and enjoy Peppermint Milkshakes!Also on our list
- look at our ornaments on the tree and talk about our favorites.
- Drive around to look at lights
- Wrap gifts and eat candy canes
- Have a night of reading Christmas stories
- **Surprise**
- Have breakfast for dinner (including Cole's favorite homemade eggnog)
Oh, I might end up changing the last one out for coloring Christmas pages with eggnog.
If you already do this, please share your ideas, I am jotting down other ideas for next year.
Merry Christmas!!
3 comments:
I love your ideas... so cute!
We went to the "North Pole" to see the lights up in the mountains and I was thinking about you. I wish you guys could drive to Twin Falls and come see it. It really is like visiting the North Pole... and your kids would LOVE IT! Santa is supposed to be there starting Dec. 20th to hand out candy canes. So, if you need a road trip... or a night of family fun when Marty gets back... the invitation is here. :) You're doing great hanging in there, Cass! You really are. Julie-
You did awesome!
What a great idea. I love the one of the kids finding their new ornament on the tree. I think that would be great for our last day of the advent calendar. Thanks for the idea!
Post a Comment