Potty training. It's so bittersweet. Sweet because it thrills me to think of Alli being potty trained and to be finished with diapers once for all for the first time in almost 8 years! But bitter since Cole and Ella were both a little over three when they were completely trained. I tried every little trick that I heard and what I've learned is that I am not good a good trainer!
I planned on starting potty training with Alli in the spring, after her 2nd birthday. But she is showing signs of readiness. I even took a quiz online (Yep...she's my 3rd and I still don't have a clue and I am not afraid to admit it!) and the signs show that Alli may be ready to begin. She's showing more signs of readiness than not. For example, telling me the right away when she has a dirty diaper. She says "poop" and brings me the wipes and a diaper. She also loves sitting on the potty.
So, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but I don't want to start too early and have it end up taking longer (that's what happened with Cole). That makes me a little reluctant to start now with Alli (She's almost 21 mo.) So far, I have been praising her when she tells me she is dirty and I have been taking her to sit on the potty when we change her diaper so she can connect the two. My MIL thinks that is confusing her since I take her after she goes.
My purpose of telling you all these great little details is to ask for HELP! Please let me know what you think. Do you think 21 mo. is too young? Do you think I could be dragging the process out by starting to early? Do you think putting on the potty after she goes is confusing? What worked for you? What didn't? Do you think I think too much? Anything will help ;) Thanks!
Teach me how to Teach her!!
11/24/2008
Posted by Cassie at 11/24/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
If she's ready, then she's letting you know she's ready. And yes Cass... you think too much... but, then again so do I! ha ha! :)
I think that is good that you are praising her and helping her make the connection by sitting her on the potty. She'll get it, over time. Did you know Hispanic cultures typically start potty training their kids at 1 years old? Learned that through the program this last year.
So, I don't think she is too young if you compare it to that! Can't believe she is almost 2 already! Just take the "cues" from Alli. If she stays interested... then, keep training. If she loses interest then try again at 2 years old.
Cut out the fluff and don't stress too much, girlie! :) Julie-
Michayla was potty trained in full, no accidents before she was 2 yrs old. I don't think anytime is too early, do what works best for you! Good luck..
Yes, my vote is if she's ready, she's ready. She might train faster with the praise from big brother and sister. I'm sure she wants to be just like them.
Post a Comment