Changes

9/26/2008

Hello Fall....it's time to enjoy the cool days or the even cooler nights; The leaves changing; Sipping on a cup of hot coffee on the way to take Cole to school; Wearing my favorite jackets and hats; Turning the heater on in the car in the morning; Cole's prize pumpkins and corn stalks on my front porch...


I love the cooking/baking/comfort food too also. I just took these out of the oven and topped them with this. Ella is currently dipping grahmn crackers and bananas in the extra glaze ;) I just took this off of the stove (but rather than empty the broth into a bowl with a colander over it, I dumped 1/4 of it down the drain before Ella asked "Mom...why are you dumping the broth". Thank goodness for 4 year olds that are smarter than their mom's! I am so used to dumping the food into the colander to keep and the liquid down the drain, it's my first time making broth- I wouldn't be me if I didn't do something wrong) I plan on making these tonight to go with the chicken and the broth.
Side note: I have also been wanting to share my new favorite quick meal: Earlier in the week, a trip to Wal Mart took much longer than I thought it would and realized it was dinner time. I picked up a rotisserie chicken (which are less expensive than a raw chicken the same size, it's not even a questions of which one to get!) and went to the freezer section to get a bag of corn. That's when I saw THESE. I'm not a fan of instant potatoes, but these looked different, so I thought we would try them. There were so easy and tasted homemade! We have tried all 4 kinds and the only one's that we didn't like were the cheese- too much artificial junk. The sweet potatoes are fab! Anyhow, the entire meal cost less than $10 and I used the leftover chicken carcass to make the broth today! Try them. Just don't buy them at Alberstons, they are almost $5, and at Wal Marty, they were less than $3.
I really wouldn't mind if it were Fall all year. Would it be strange if I kept my fall decor up all year round? ;)
*****
Now onto the B-I-G change...I received a phone call on Wednesday from a friend that Marty worked with at Tyson. He had worked very hard to track Marty down to offer him a job. He started telling me all about it and I was very intrigued since Marty's job hasn't been too secure lately. Then came the catch...the job is in Wyoming!
After meeting with his friend that night and a lot of discussing, the pro list out weighed the con he has accepted the job. He will be working 2 weeks on, then come home for one. It's a 6-7 hour drive, but the cost isn't too much more to fly home, so I'm sure he'll do that when the roads are bad.
It's going to take a lot of adjusting and be a challenge for everyone- especially him since he'll be working 80-120 a week. However, with anything else that changes in life, it will become "normal" for us. Our list of concerns is a mile high, but we felt that the risk of being laid off where he is now was higher than all of them. I worry about him working so hard and exhausting himself. I worry about the kids adjusting to him being gone. I worry about us being away from one another for 2 weeks at a time. But I'm really looking forward to the weeks that he'll be home, we'll be able to do things that we haven't been able to with a traditional schedule.
Today is his last day of work and we'll have 9 days to prepare and spend time together until he leaves. (of course he'll take one day to go fishing!)
The past couple of days have been a whirlwind and we hope that we made the right decision.
Wish us luck!
**It's taken me a few hours to write this and we've had a chance to try the brownies- they are to die for!! We added chocolate chips and used whole wheat flour (I was out of white) and they were like a thick peanut butter cookie (but they were so much easier than cookies!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cass-
I wondered what all the changes were about. Didn't want to pry.. but was hoping to hear about it on your blog. :)

Wyoming, huh? So, you mean he'll be working for Tyson chicken? Doing what?

Wow... that is a big change... but, I think change can be good. Glad to see you don't have to be a working mom... at least not for now. Call me if you get lonely while Marty is away... I know it will be an adjustment. Thank goodness for cell phones and internet, huh?

Julie-

~Four Tully's~ said...

It will be a great opportunity for all of you. And with this very unpredictable economy I think you guys have made the right decision. Oh you know how I feel about it all from our talk. I am here to hand out with when he's gone, so bring the kids out to our neck of the woods for some fun!! Luv ya!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Cass, what a hard decision but I am so proud of these husbands and fathers who are hard workers and willing to sacrafice for their families.
I'll be praying for you guys during this transition and let me know if you need anything.

Kimberly said...

You have become quite the Betty Crocker lately!
Such a big change ahead for you and "nasty" and the kids! Enjoy your 9 days together. Let me know if you need anything!