Cole's newest nature loving passion is gardening. This is quite a shock to me since I have never had any interest or gardening. I have tried to have both indoor and outdoor plants but I can't keep them alive ;) Kids and pets, I can do, but plants, not so much! Marty loves fresh vegetables and made a little section in our back yard a few years ago and I loved having the vegetables, but this year it was put on the bottom of the list.
I think that Cole's green thumb began with his love of vegetables as well. He always loved to pick tomatoes and cucumbers from Grammy's garden from the time he could walk. My mom would give his a cup full of grape tomatoes and he would eat the whole thing- so cute!
Cole was given a great birthday gift from my friend, Kaia, who a very avid gardener- a complete gardening set that she put together. Kaia and Cole planted the seeds, but they didn't make it. So, she waited a little bit and got Cole a tomato plant. He was thrilled and couldn't wait for it to grow a bit so he could put it in the garden space. Around the same time, he also planted a pumpkin seed on a field trip. He watered and loved those little plants so much while he prepared the garden to transplant them. Once he did, he decided that he needed more plants in there, so I found some seeds that we had from last year and he "taught" me how to plant them. (I really did know how to plant a seed, but I didn't let him know that). He is now growing green beans, peppers and a few other veges.
Tending to his garden is his favorite thing to do. He goes out there to water, check on his plants and weed a few times a day and his plants look great! My mom says that he reminds her of my Grandma (her mother), she spent sun up to sun down in her garden. I'm so happy that he enjoys such a simple task so greatly. And I can't wait to try the delicious vegetables that Cole grew all by himself!

3 comments:
Those plants look awesome! Good job, Cole! I'll watch HIM eat the tomatoes.. :)
That's so precious! Cole has such a good heart and appreciation for things like that. Julie-
Awesome! Those plants look better than mine, for sure! I wish I had the drive to tend to my little garden everyday. You should be proud, Cass. I'm sure you are!
Post a Comment