The Graduate

5/02/2008

Thursday night was Marty's official graduation ceremony from the Larry G. Sellend College of Applied Technology. Four years of school and it's over! Whatever will we do without Monday and Wednesday nights? I'm sure we'll figure it out.



It was a nice ceremony with a lot of encouraging words. Since construction isn't exactly booming in Idaho right now, we have been a little worried. But, the instructors that spoke gave us great comfort. They also acknowledged the commitment and sacrifice of the spouses and families a lot, I will admit, that felt good.

Marty got a little nervous when he found out he had to go on stage, then I was instructed to NOT take any photos. Really? Has he met me? I laughed and snapped this...




He is going for the hand shake ;)

And what did he say, oh yes "don't take any pictures". Okay....



After all of the Sparkys (that's shop talk for Electrician) received their certificates (There were also Plumbers and HVAC guys graduating), each school (Nampa and Boise) gave out the Student of the Year Award. It was based on grades and attitude. And you guessed it...Marty was given the award! Ella was sitting on his lap while they were describing the award and I grabbed her telling Marty that he better get ready to go up there and he blushed and said "whatever", that's when they called his name! He found time to tell me to not take any photos and went up there. That's when I snapped this...

He was given a nice plaque and a meter that is valued at over $100 and the bragging rights are pretty cool ;) I guess all of those time I begged him to skip school and stay home to help me do the dishes or whatever really paid off.




Cole and Ella did a pretty good job during the ceremony. My mom was the problem, giving the kids Tic Tacs to help them fight off their boredom. They were sitting on the other side of Marty's mom from me and I would hear "Grammy, I want a Tic Tac" Then the shake shake shake and "oh spicy, spicy, spicy, Grandma, can have some water?" Then the glug glug glug. And Ella would squish the water bottle every time. And both Grandma's would say "SSHHHH". And the big guy sitting in front of the them would turn around with a disgusted look on his face. I took control of the situation by having Ella sit on my lap. The moral of this part of the story is this: NEVER let your kids sit between their Grandma's when they need to be quiet. ;)

After the ceremony, we were surprised with a reception and dinner. It was pretty good and my toe is almost better from Ella dropping a plate on my foot! And she really enjoyed her 4 pieces of chocolate cake!


(Who is that tall boy standing in front of us, that can't be Cole, he's too big!!)

Marty really was committed and dedicated and I am so grateful for that. For the last four years, he would get home from work, say a quick Hello and eat dinner. Then run off to either coach Cole's soccer team or go to class. He hasn't had a lot of down time. It's great to finally see the payoff ;)

Here are a few more pictures, I was a picture taking fool! I already feel sorry for my kids on their graduation days.



How precious is that?


( Isn't this one cute? I love my mom's red shoes!)



1 comments:

Heather said...

Jer and I are so proud of Marty! He was so dedicated and worked so hard to get through school - the award couldn't have gone to a better student!