Here is a conversation that Cole and I had yesterday right after school:
Mom: "How was school? Who did you play with?" and so on...
Cole: "I was playing with Fred" (no real names here)
Mom: "How was he today, was he nice?"
There have been some issues with Fred before, teaching Cole some things that we aren't thrilled about and not being nice to Cole. We have been trying to teach Cole that there are plenty of others to play with and to make good choices, as Fred doesn't sound like a good friend.
Cole: "No, he wasn't. But I've been thinking. It's not really his fault that he's not nice. It's his parents fault, because they are really mean to him. So, he doesn't know how to be nice."
Doesn't that just break your heart?
Mom: "Well, you might be right."
Cole: "I don't know his mom, but his Dad ate lunch with us one day and yelled at me, so I know that he's mean"
We talked about that for a bit and it, of course, made my blood boil, but that's a whole other topic that I'm taking care of. I guess it happened a few months ago. Good thing, really, cause I would have been knocking on that Dad's door! GRRRR...
Mom: "All you can do, Cole, is make a good choice on who to play with, there are a lot of really nice kids are your school that can be good freinds"
Cole: "Maybe I can teach him how to be a good friend and what is appropriate to talk about and how to be nice. I'd rather do that then play are recess. And maybe Mrs. (Teacher) and Miss (Counselor) can help"
Mom: Too stunned by his wisdom to talk about first. But finally "That's a good idea Cole. I'll talk to Mrs. (Teacher) and Miss (Counselor)."
I went on to tell him on proud I was to be his mom.
I just emailed his teacher and we'll see what happens. I'm sure that Cole can't really stay inside during recess and "teach" this boy, but this is such a sweet thought that I didn't want to just disregard it. Cole has got to be the most compassionate person I've ever met. We need more Cole's in this world.
Another proud moment
5/01/2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
What a sweet boy!!! I can't imagine how proud you are of him!!
Post a Comment