Getting out of the house

10/04/2007

Is it just us....or does everyone have a very hard time getting out of the house with their kids? My kids don't seem to understand that when I say it's time to get ready to leave (get your coat, put your shoes on, ext...) they decided to begin an art project or something. Or as they walk into the garage to get into the car, they grab a toy or a bike. This usually results in me getting stressed out since we have to be somewhere at a certain time and yelling at them, it's just no fun for anyone.

I did see an episode of Super Nanny (look what i figured out =}!)once that dealt with this issue and the idea for a solution was great, but would probably work better with older children. She set a timer for 10 min or so and reminded the kids every 2 min how much time was left. My problem with this is when I tell Ella that we have 2 min left to play, she cheers. At only three years old, she has no concept of time. Anyhow, does anyone have an idea that works for them? I could use some help. Thanks!

3 comments:

Curt said...

my suggestion is always the same... a 'boot in the pa-toot!'

Heather said...

Okay, how did you figure that out??? I've been racking my brain!! Help!

Can't help with the "getting out of the house" bit....same problem at my house! :) (is it in the genes?)

Anonymous said...

My latest is "okay then we're not going" that's when I finally see a little more movement. It's sad that threats are motivating around here ;o)