S'Mores and Sand Dunes....

6/20/2007

....were my favorite part of the camping trip! We got there a little later than we would have liked to on Friday, so setting up was a little hectic. And we are used to camping in the sticks, but since Dad planned this trip, he chose a campground at Brunuo Sand Dunes. It was nice having a table, bathrooms and all of the other amenities that come along with a campground, but I think we'll stick to our sticks!! Dad had prepared a great meal for dinner and after dinner, Jere took the kids down to the observatory to check out a class about fossils. They had a great time there learning all about Saber Tooth Tigers! We made some s'mores when they returned- the best part of camping!!


(Garrett, Jace, Ella, Cole and Nick- Margie's Grandson, so another cousin for the kids!)




I was having so much fun taking pics of the kids and eating mine, that I somehow got melted marshmallow in the lens cover of my camera! (Is anyone really surprised??) It wouldn't open or close and I was so bummed because the weekend was sure to have many more Kodak moments! So, I admit it...I forced it just a little to open and close and then it got a bit mad at me! It kept beeping at me and was not going to work. BUMMER!! But Heather had hers and she took a ton of pics and was even brave enough to let me handle it a few times! (I took it to Idaho Camera on Monday and to fix it would cost more than the camera did. The guy there used some special tool to push the lens back so now it works, it's just missing a lens cover. A camera shopping we will go...darn!)

Anyhow.. We had a great breakfast on Saturday morning- Mountain Man Breakfast- thanks for the recipe Andrea. It was a tad on the peppery side since Marty let Ella "sprinkle" the pepper on. =) We went down to the Dunes and the lake where the kids enjoyed the nature hunt from heaven- lizards and bugs and snake skins oh my!! Cole was well equipped with his nature backpack! There were many people climbing the dunes and the kids (+ Marty and the dog) decided to join in. I'm not sure if you can tell what a climb is was to the top, but it was a ways up there!

Cole, Jace and Tabby started....

Along came Marty and Ella....

Marty made it to the top (he said that if anyone ever wants a bun workout- this is it!!)

He had to help the kids and the dog up the steepest part, but they all made it to the top! Pretty cool! Ella slide down the dune on her bottom and all I can say is that I'm glad there was a shower at the camp! They offer guided night climbs- which I would love to do. But, with Alli in the sling, I couldn't very well join in. And it was so hot too -the heat, the sun and my skin do not get along well. I still have a sun rash on my arm...because I'm so cool! My Grandfather was allergic to the sun and I think I inheritated it- lucky me!
We went over to the Lake where my Dad took the kids out on the canoe one by one while the rest swam. They loved it! Marty of course had to take advantage of the water and fish a little in his float tube with the kids...



Overall, it was nice to not worry about the TIME. I would love to go back to the Dunes and see the stars at the observatory at night- it's not really a kid thing. It would be a fun date actually. I learned that it's one of the best observatories in the country! Go Idaho! The stars really were unlike I've ever seen them....breathtaking! Cole and I had laid in the grass and looked at them- he pointed out all of the planets to me. We are looking forward to camping again this summer. Hopefully, by next summer we'll have some sort of little trailer. Sure would be nice to have most everything already packed each time!

Family pic


Alli Jane's first camping trip


Best Buds with their bugs....


5 comments:

Jill said...

I've been anxious to see this posting! Looks like a lot of fun! Love it!

Heather said...

I agree with you, we'll stick to the sticks too! It was an experience though. ;)

~Four Tully's~ said...

Isn't camping the funnest!! You guys will definately have to come on one of our camping adventures this summer!! I think the pictures tell such a good story... Oh and the camera thing, doesn't suprise me in the least!! :0) TTYL

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great time! I've always wanted to go the the dunes.

Anonymous said...

cute pictures! looks like you had a lot of fun!